Thursday, January 31, 2013

First Week in the City

Hey Everyone! I've just moved across the country from San Diego to New York City for nursing school, which has literally been a dream come true! I'm not gonna lie and say that I wasn't completely terrified at the idea.. the thought of leaving my family (who are my closest friends and favorite people in the world) had me shivering in my boots. Funny enough, it was 80 degrees when I left San Diego last week. When I arrived at La Guardia on Wednesday, it was an arctic 12 brrrrrr.. I had my entire life packed up into two suitcases, which I managed to lug into a taxi for the first time & venture out into the Big Apple. It was pretty exhilarating to feel completely lost and independent in one of the busiest cities in the world. I can only compare it to my time studying abroad in Paris after my junior year of college. As the cab driver rushed us through tunnels and weaved in and out of traffic, I quizzed him about the city and then squealed a little bit when we were finally able to see the famous skyline. More to come later but let me leave you with some photos of my first week..




I spent my first night at my friend Sumana's, she decorated for me & kindly shared her bed, which was ultimately comfortable!


I spent my first day picking up nursing essentials.. purple scrubs. Not the most flattering of outfits.


I went to a Meet & Greet for all of the nursing students in my program & met a bunch of friendly people.


I went on a huge trek to track down some matzo ball soup I'd had with my mom 7 years ago, got lost on the subway & bumped into Times Square!


Eureka!


Across the street was an amazing gourmet food store that I'd been to before, but this was when I had no idea how to cook & couldn't really appreciate all of the specialty items they kept in stock. Conveniently every item must have cost at least $20 (for a chocolate bar? I don't think so) & so I walked out empty-handed. Although not disappointed. 


Then I went in search of Central Park (since I'm a tourist after all). 


..Which couldn't have been prettier in the freezing temps



Fishing rules for you dad.. better be catching & releasing those mothas!



I moved into my dorm room that weekend, which was an interesting experience to say the least... The place was a total mess, trash on the floor, hair & dirt on every surface, but I managed to spruce it up a tiny bit & am feeling much better now that my stuff is all situated. Thank God I brought a couple of posters so my walls don't feel naked!


Still waiting on my bedspread..


The common space is pretty common.


I ride the subway pretty much everywhere & it's cool to see so many different walks of life


I got to campus way too early on my first day of class so I sat in Washington Square Park to kill some time. I don't know why every place looks so deserted in my pictures because New York is PACKED!


I was listening to my iPod & no joke, "New York State of Mind" came on as it started to snow. I took it as a good sign :)



After lugging my stuff around everywhere for a week, I splurged on a backpack that could fit a tiny person in it.


And I think that's it for now!! I could tell you so much more but I have things to do, places to be, people to see!

Love you with my whole heart!

Jen













1 comment:

  1. THIS REMINDS ME OF HOME ALONE!!!!!!!!!! i must come visit. and the scrubs are cute!

    ReplyDelete